What is the purpose of this scan?
This ultrasound scan includes the evaluation of:
- Gallbladder and biliary system
- Prostate (in men)
Reasons for having an abdominal and Kidney ultrasound scan:
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal bloating
- Loin/kidney pain
- Abnormal liver function tests, fatty liver
- Abnormal renal function
- Follow up on previous findings such as cysts, gallstones, polyps, kidney stones
- Abnormal Blood Tests
- Tumours & Cancers
- Fatty Liver
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Yellow Skin (Jaundice)
- Pain in the kidney region
- Blood in the urine
- Bladder issues
- Enlarged prostate
- Urinary tract infection
- Abnormal kidney function
- Family history of kidney disease
- Abnormal Blood Tests
- Detect many tumours and cancers
- Detect Stones
- Detect water retention (Hydronephrosis)
- Urinary Incontinence
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
What is included with this abdominal and kidney scan?
- Ultrasound report with images and if needed, a follow up recommendation.
Preparation for this scan?
- For this ultrasound scan you are required to fast for at least 4 hours (if you are diabetic you may have a sugary supplement if needed). Clear fluids, for example water are allowed.
What should I expect during the abdominal and kidney ultrasound?
Before the ultrasound scan, our sonographer will explain the examination procedure.
You will be asked to lie on your back and expose your upper abdomen.
A small amount of water-based gel will be applied to your skin. The gel will help the transducer to make good contact with the skin. The ultrasound transducer will be placed on the body and will be moved in different directions over the area of interest to obtain the required information/ultrasound images.
There is usually no discomfort from pressure as the transducer or probe as otherwise known, is pressed against the area being examined. However, if scanning is performed over an area of tenderness, you may feel pressure or minor discomfort from the transducer.
Once the ultrasound imaging is completed, the clear ultrasound gel will be wiped off your skin. Any portions that are not wiped off will dry quickly. The ultrasound gel does not usually stain or discolor clothing.
This ultrasound examination is usually completed within 20-30 minutes. After an ultrasound examination, you should be able to resume your normal activities immediately.